Thopa gunner: maverick, bitch
Bear with me a moment, I swear this tangent is
going somewhere. So, there’s this Simpsons gag about military recruitment.
Where the recruiter explains they use subliminal, liminal and super liminal
messaging. When asked to explain what super liminal messaging involves, he
leans out a window and screams at a passer by telling them to sign up. Ha. Ha.
If I was to try and slot top gun maverick into
one of those categories, it’s got to be super liminal. If only because everyone already is well
aware the original was also a recruitment tool for the navy. 36 years down the
line, the cat has had kittens and those kittens have had kittens, and the
proverbial bag was recycled into a coke bottle that was then used as a gravity
bong before being discarded into landfill. Yet Top gun refuses to move on, so
much so the film’s theme (join the navy) was about how little anyone in top gun
had actually moved on… from the navy, which they joined…
I appreciate the mental gymnastics a
screenwriter today would have to go through to write anything as corny and
un-ironic as a top gun film. Though in that regard I feel they fall a bit short
in places. The film has more cheese than the US food stamp program in 1986.
While I'm down for an 80’s cheese fest, my lactose intolerant friends will
attest there is such a thing as too much cheese. So let’s examine the post
pizza depression of Maverick.
Much as the film tries to convince that there
are actual narrative stakes at play you can feel the kid gloves of the soft
writing underneath. I’m not saying someone has to die a sudden dramatic death,
but the film telegraphs itself as too much of a feel-good flick to really do
that. The only death in the film, join the navy, is forewarned and the most
respectful adoring funeral one could hope for.
The messaging across the film is not only can
you return to the past, but it’s as vibrant and good as you remember it.
Nothing exists there to fundamentally challenge you, your sweet heart is still
waiting, and you can comfortably be a big fish in a small pond, sticking it to
your old man (Jon Hamm) by joining up, shipping out and flying boats at mack
too. Needless of me to point out, that isn’t how the 80’s was: I know I was
there. Like a lot of media, it’s riding nostalgia for a time that never was,
which isn’t what the nostalgia of my childhood used to be, it used to be good,
you’know, it was a purer kinder nostalgia, people nowadays use it as an escape
but.
A good
portion of the film is characters lining up to metaphorically jerk Thomas Cruisé
off with flattery and praise. Which I’m chalking up to the military recruiters
knowing that no one under the age of thirty five was ever led to believe that
they were good enough. If anyone can be used to symbolize a black hole of
praise seeking insecurity, it would be the now 61 year old Tobias Cruz.
Paradoxically, the sheer volume of affirmation
that Tommy Crush, maverick, is in fact the best fighter pilot of all time
forever and ever left me with lasting imposter syndrome. I am now resigned to
never being a top of the line fighter ace. The worst part of that is I've never
even flown and have a totally unrelated fear of heights. Though that might
speak to the boat having sailed on my own sense of self-worth.
Speaking of, Tumnus Crash does have a boat
sailing scene. Where it is revealed that he doesn’t know how to sail, so that
his new old girlfriend can girl-mansplain the basics to him. Doesn’t learning
to sail boats sound like a great idea for a date? A good way to learn those
skills would be to join the US navy.
It has occurred to me that pointing out the
film as propaganda isn’t particularly clever. Critics like to think of
themselves as clever people, because they’re people and everyone does that. The
sheer obviousness of it goes some way to neutralizing the criticism of it being
propaganda. Hence making it more effective propaganda: this is a super liminal
thing I was talking about; awareness of advertisement doesn’t neutralize the
effectiveness when it’s not trying to be subtle. If anything the knowledge goes
some way to encouraging the same complacent mindset that made the original so
effective.
If we’re on the subject of criticism, and this
being a review; I think we are, blowing your nostalgia song on the opening
sequence is crumby as hell. I’m fairly sure, based on nothing other than my own
notional sense of entitlement; that if danger zone started blasting during the
maverick dog fight sequence, it would be incredibly cringe, over the top, and
quintessentially 80’s nostalgia perfection.
The other easy angle with Cruise is his cult
affiliation, which I'm sure I could be scathing about, but I'm not putting in
the research (reading wikipedia) to get enough material for a paragraph on the
subject. I can stomach reading about the US navy, but thinking about that other
aquatic organization gives me the ick.
I’m fairly sure Maverick won’t have the same
lasting impression as the original, but I also know it’s not trying to. A sequel
in the narrative sense moves the story on; keeping some underlying themes and
concepts, whilst developing them. Ultimately they aim to supplant the original,
successful or not. Tenga Topa gun maverick isn’t interested in moving forwards,
it and a lot of modern sequels to 80’s classics have got more in common with a
prequel if anything, ticking off a set of references and nods to the status
quo. This is how modern ‘generative AI’ works; a scatter shot approximation of
what it was fed. If the machines were trained on our cultural, no wonder
they’re not creative.
Tron legacy was more forward looking. Yikes.
No comments:
Post a Comment